When shopping, do you look for things that are practical or items that you’ll most likely only wear once? Either way of shopping can be okay as long as you have some essential items in your wardrobe first. Once you have these ten styles, you can start building your wardrobe with fun pieces. The great thing about having these items is that you can interchange all of these pieces so you can make multiple outfits with only ten items.
1. Black Blazer: Especially if you are over the age of 18, this is a must. Blazers are needed for so many things from a job interview to a a casual night out. The great thing about blazers are that they come in all different styles so find the best one for you body. I always go with the blazers from Nordstrom by Halogen but I have also found some great ones from LOFT and Banana Republic. You can wear a blazer over a dress or you can dress up your jeans by adding a blazer and cute bootie heels.
2. An Awesome Pair of Jeans: Everybody should have those one pair of jeans that makes them look HOT. This pair of jeans should be your favorite and the ones you wear to make yourself feel great. When looking for the perfect pair of jeans, try on all different brands and styles. Don’t look at the price tag when doing this because it might sway your decision about how they look on you. Everybody deserves one pair of great jeans so it is okay to spend a little bit more on this pair than you would for any other item. My awesome pair of jeans are skinny jeans by True Religion because they make my legs look great and fit very well. I also don’t have a nice butt so having buttons on the back pockets doesn’t make my butt look flat like in my other jeans. These definitely were pricey but it was so worth it. Try J. Brand, Seven For All Mankind, and Free People, those are my other favorites.
3. A Collared Shirt: You would be surprised with the amount of outfits you can make with a white collared shirt. First of all, you can dress this style up by putting a blazer over it with a skirt or dress pants or also tuck it into jeans with a great pair of shoes. You can wear this shirt everyday with a different look and people wouldn’t even notice you were wearing the same shirt. Collared shirts add a professional look so it is a must for your wardrobe. If you want to buy a good quality shirt I would recommend J. Crew or Ralph Lauren but you can also save your money when buying this look by trying one at H&M. Once you have a white one, have fun and buy all different colors. This is one of my favorite styles.
4. A Leather Jacket: The great thing about leather is that it is timeless. It’s been around for decades and I can promise you that it will never go out of style. This is an outfit you can find anywhere for all different prices. You can spend a great deal of money on this trend by getting this jacket made by a designer or you can walk into Forever 21 and find various styles of leather jackets. The Forever 21 jacket probably won’t last you forever but since you are not spending too much on it, you can always buy more. Leather jackets look great with jeans and black heels with a simple top underneath or you can dress it up by wearing a skirt. Always wear your hair down when wearing leather.
5. An LBD: Everybody MUST have a little black dress. This dress is also timeless and you can do SO many things with this item. You can wear it with heels and a nice jacket to a fancy dinner or to some sort of reception. But you can also make this casual by wearing a cardigan with flats and wearing it to work or to a party with friends. You can probably find an LBD almost anywhere but I found mine at Nordstroms. I don’t wear mine too often but I think as I get older, it will come out of my closet more. The great thing about these is that they come in all different shapes and styles so find the perfect one for your body shape. Mine is very simple, while others can be pretty extravagant.
6. Flats: Everybody should have a pair of comfortable flats. These should be somewhat dressy where you can wear them to work but also can wear them out shopping or to lunch with friends. These are essential meaning you should also take these everywhere. When wearing heels to work can sometimes be uncomfortable so always bring your flats with you to make a quick change. Before wearing these out, wear them around the house to make sure they are comfortable because there is nothing worse than flats that hurt . I recently got a pair of Tory Burch flats that I adore but Target also has flats in various colors. I would stick to tan or black.
7. Nude Heels: Nude heels are great because they almost go with absolutely everything. You can wear these to the office, to a wedding, out to dinner, or even wear them casual with a pair of jeans. The important thing about buying your first pair of heels is to make sure they fit right. Like flats, walk around your house with them to make sure they aren’t too loose or too tight. Heels are something you are going to have to wear your whole life so make sure you invest in a good comfortable pair. Steve Madden usually has the best nude heels in my opinion.
8. Denim shirt: Denim has always been in style since forever but you can see denim shirts now more than ever. Denim shirts are a must have because you can style them all different ways. For example, you can tuck them into colored skirt and wear a necklace with it. Or you can even try the denim on denim look if you are brave. JK I love this look but you have to have two different colored denims so it doesn’t look like a jumpsuit. You can find a denim shirt almost anywhere but I love my Gap shirt and wear it all the time.
9. Purse: Invest in a purse that is the right size and the right color that you can take anywhere. By getting a color that is neutral, it will go with everything and by getting the right size, you won’t have to worry about not fitting all your items in it or having too much room. Purses can be tricky because there are so many styles and so many brands. Find one that you won’t get sick of and you will have forever. Check out Michael Kors, Fossil, Kate Spade and Longchamp if you want to invest in one that will last a lifetime.
10. Something that is unique to you: Everybody is trying to find their style or if you are lucky, you know your style. You know what looks best on you and you know what your go- to outfit is. For example, my favorite item of clothing is pants. I love all different patterns, colors, and styles. When I go shopping, this is always something I find myself buying instead of things I actually need. This is the item I get the most compliments on and this what I think makes me look the best which gives me confidence. This is what I spend the most money on but this is also what I have the most of.